Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Children’s Outreach in Mtwara: The Mango Tree Church




This past Saturday, we had a children’s outreach at one of the church’s that we attended last Sunday. As we were in the service, I saw that there were sooo many children there. I felt in my heart that we should do something for them so I decided to ask my team leaders if we could do an outreach there. They agreed to it so we went for it… Boy, was I in for quite the surprise. We expected 20 – 30 kids, initially. However on Saturday morning, the pastor called and said there would be about 50 – 70… When we finally arrived, there were children all around our car… We had to send the taxi back to get more snacks because 200 + kids showed up!!

We sang Swahili songs with them and Sheri told the story of David and Goliath as Janine translated. Afterwards, we had maybe 10 -20 kids raise their hands to receive salvation and many to actually say the salvation prayer when Janine asked those who wanted to receive salvation to pray with her. I later gave a testimony of how God has blessed me to dance for Him and I make sure to praise Him with my body. Then Janine and I taught them a dance and so we had a little “praise dance” party under the mango tree, which is where the pastor has service every Sunday.

We had a great time… until the end!! We passed out snacks to the kids and they were pretty reserved. However, when it was time to distribute the juices, the kids got waaaay out of hand. It was so difficult to pour simply because they were crowded so close to us…They were fighting and pushing each other so that they would make sure to get their drinks. It was so sad because we wanted to make sure that everyone received a drink but there were kids who would come back for seconds even though they knew they weren’t supposed to. We couldn’t tell who had received already…

Though I didn’t leave discouraged about our time with the kids, I did leave disheartened about the lack of resources available for them. Their reaction was a direct reflection of their poverty and lack. Please pray for transformation in the lives of the children of Mtwara. Pray that their would be no lack and that the spirit of poverty would be broken over this area…

Overall, my time in Mtwara has been great… My whole experience has been great!! I have learned much and I am continuing to grow and mature. God is making things clearer for me so that I can begin to focus more. Right now, I am involved in many things. If you know me well, you know that’s the story of my life… ☺ hahahah.. Pray with me, that I will make the right decisions on what to focus on as I move from student to full-time minister….

Blessings and look forward to hearing from me soon!!

Love you all!!

No comments: