Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Week 3: August 3 -9



Week 3 was by far one of the most transitional weeks for me here in Tanzania. Though we did many things, the most impacting experience was the time that I spent in children’s ministry. I had the opportunity to be involved in children’s ministry with two children’s homes in Moshi, “KiliKids” and the “Emmanuel Center”.

Our team has visited the Emmanuel Center, a home dedicated to raising and discipling orphaned boys, for two years in a row. Every year has been a blessing for us and for them, but this year was very special for me. This year we shared dances. I taught them a dance and they taught us dances as well… Mind you, there songs are like 8 minutes long so by the time we were done, I felt like I had worked out. All in all, we had a blast!!! I laughed with them and joked with them and tussled with them… It was great. One of the boys, who is usually shy when I come around even spoke with for a long time this year. He speaks English very well, but because he was so shy when I was around, he would never say anything to me though he would smile.

He opened up one night when he noticed that my watch was “wrong.” He is accustomed to military time, so his watch read 20:00, though mine read 8:00 pm. It was sooo funny because he kept saying, in his Tanzanian way, “You’re watch “eez” wrong.” I could not, for the life of me, explain the difference between the times but we had a fun time laughing at the whole issue. Just that little “matter” opened up a door of communication between he and I. I plan to keep in touch with him through correspondence in the future so that I can continue to build a relationship with him.

We also visited KiliKids, another children’s orphanage that ministers to and disciples young children. There, I got to share my testimony with the children about my brother. Some of you may know that my little brother, Savion, passed away about 6 years ago. Due to the fact that many of these children are either orphans or have parents that do not want them, they understand what it means to suffer loss. One of my team member shared with them a story about Jesus being their friend. I “piggy-backed” her story by sharing how Jesus was my friend and was my Comfort when I lost my brother. I tried my hardest to share the story without crying, but it didn’t work!! I was a ball of tears in know time… They were sooo receptive and also very comforting. One of kids came up to me about an hour after I shared my testimony and told me again how sorry he was about my brother. It warmed my heart so much. I told the story to encourage them that no matter what losses they may have, Jesus will always be there. It was such a blessing because they received it and also loved on me!! ☺

I adore children and I hope to work with the children here on a grander scale in the future. Though I trust that God will make it clear how I can be involved here in the future, I ask that you would pray for them. The need is sooo great, yet the laborers are few! Whatever you know to pray, make your requests to God. He hears you…

There is actually another orphanage here that needs people to just hold and “love on” the children. That’s all!! Hopefully next year, I will be able to come back again with a team of others so that we can do just that… Pray about joining me next year if any of this burdens your heart at all… Or pray that the Lord would send more people to bless these children…

No comments: